With its large number of permanent researchers and doctoral students, and a long-standing partnership with the business community, LAAS-CNRS is located at the crossroads of scientific challenges, innovation and markets.
The laboratory supports the approach of its researchers, engineers, technicians and PhD students in creating their own business and assists them during the first years of their existence by providing technological and local support, and hosting them during the incubation phase. CNRS is a member of the regional Midi-Pyrénées incubator and of the Board of Toulouse Tech Transfer (society for accelerating technology transfer), entrepreneurship projects can naturally be supported by these structures.
Among the start-ups launched by LAAS-CNRS members, are:
- SmartCatch, a micro-perforated membrane for a physical trapping of circulating cancer-associated cells (2016)
- 3dis technologies, 3D Interconnection Technology (2014)
- i Habitation, Domotics for New Facilities or Renovation (2012)
- seeks, Free Cooperative Search Engine (2011)
- Naïo Technologies, Technological Developments and Robotics for Agriculture (2011)
- Exem, EM Monitoring for Radio Communications (2010)
- Epsiline, Anemometry by Laser Technology (2009)
- 31 Degrees, Surface Treatment for the Realization of MEMS (2008)
- QoS Design, Simulation/Optimization of Networks (2004)
- Kineo CAM, Motion Planning (2000 – Acquired by Siemens PLM Software in 2012)
Of particular note is the intensification in the process of business creation in recent years. It should also be pointed out that the link with these start-ups often continues well beyond their creation, whether they were born in the laboratory or outside its walls.