We have developed various functionalization strategies to pattern materials ranging from polymers to biomolecules, that are especially suited for the biofunctionalization of MEMS for biosensing applications:
- Bioplume is a picoliter droplet dispenser that relies on an array of silicon microcantilevers where liquid transfer is achieved by a direct contact of the cantilever tip and the surface. A high degree of control over the location and geometry of the fabricated patterns is ensured by incorporating force sensors and electroassisted deposition means (electrospotting) to the device.
- A modified microcontact printing process is used as a back-end method for biofunctionalizing large-scale arrays of nanocantilevers. Molecules are delivered onto fragile freestanding structures from the grooves of the stamp while its base sits on the chip, thus providing mechanical stability.
- Molecularly Imprinted Polymers (MIP) used as a bioreceptor layer are integrated onto MEMS structures before their wet-etch release and patterned by photolithography. The stability and robustness of these biomimetic synthetic receptors offer an appropriate response in terms of integration compatibility and operating environment for MEMS biosensors.
- T. Livache, CEA
- K. Haupt, UTC
Selective list of publication:
- S. Guillon, S. Salomon, F. Seichepine, D. Dezest, F. Mathieu, A. Bouchier, L. Mazenq, C. Thibault, C. Vieu, T. Leïchlé, and L. Nicu, "Biological functionalization of massively parallel arrays of nanocantilevers using microcontact printing", Sensors and Actuators B, 161 (1), pp. 1135-1138 (2012)
- S. Salomon, T. Leïchlé, D. Dezest, F. Seichepine, S. Guillon, C. Thibault, C. Vieu, and L. Nicu, "Arrays of nanoelectromechanical biosensors functionalized by microcontact printing", Nanotechnology, 23 (49), 495501 (2012)
- E. Descamps, N. Duroure, F. Deiss, T. Leichlé, C. Adam, P. Mailley, A. Aït-Ikhlef, T. Livache, L. Nicu, and N. Sojic, "Functionalization of optical nanotip arrays with and electrochemical microcantilever for multiplexed DNA detection", Lab on a Chip, 13, pp. 2956-2962 (2013)